Saturday, February 11, 2017

Samhain Closing

So Samhain is closing. That makes me sad. The contrast between Samhain and Ellora’s Cave, who used to be my two main publishers, is startling. Ellora’s Cave’s disdain for the people who made them money, ie the authors, became startlingly apparent at the end. The constant rejection of legitimate requests for returns of rights, the refusal to keep authors in the loop fostered despair and exasperation, as it was obvious they were playing games. The owners blamed everybody except themselves for the eventual failure.
On the other hand, Samhain trusted its authors and never disparaged them. They have paid me every month, and that is my base requirement for a publisher. That they live up to their side of the contract, while I live up to mine. They were always courteous and considerate. I sent them work I was really proud of.
I was with Samhain since the beginning. They published Richard and Rose, my first big success, and went on to publish others. I’m genuinely sad to see them go. Even when they were struggling I had no intention of pulling the bulk of my books. I was considering pulling a short series, but that was all.
With a simple announcement, a lot of my books will be pulled off the market. I want to assure you that they will all be reissued. They’ll have new covers, but I don’t plan to do any serious alterations to them, so they’ll be the same books. I’ve listed them at the end of this post. I’ll probably turn them around myself. I don’t plan anything but a simple announcement, because I want them to be available as soon as I can make it so. I’ll probably release them once a week until they’re all back out there, unless I can manage to get them ready at the same time.
When Samhain closes its doors, I’ll make the books dark on my website, but never fear, they will be back soon!
It’s all a bit of a blow, but I’m still there, and I can’t see myself stopping any time soon.
Here are the books that are involved.
The Richard and Rose series: Yorkshire, Devonshire, Venice, Harley Street, Eyton, Hareton Hall, Maiden Lane and Lisbon.
The Triple Countess series: Last Chance My Love, A Chance to Dream, Met By Chance and A Betting Chance.
The Secrets series: Seductive Secrets, Alluring Secrets and Tantalizing Secrets.
Even Gods Fall In Love: Lightning Unbound, Arrows of Desire, Forged By Love, War Chest and Her Quicksilver Lover
And the standalone novella, It Started At Waterloo.


That’s a lot of books!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment